24 Mar 2012

Ducati unreliability and a Guzzi to dream of ?

It's been a while since I posted on bikes.

Probably something to do with my current extreme feelings of frustration with the appallingly unreliable mechanics of my Ducati Multistrada, and my anger at the protracted wrangling with some totally unhelpful people at Ducati France. To cut a long story short, this bike, a 2005 1000 SDS model with just under 30,000 kms on the clock has so far had (apart from standard useable parts and servicing which all cost an arm and a leg anyway) its two cylinder heads changed because of faulty metal in the valve guides, a clutch change, a speedo / rev-counter sensor changed and now the petrol tank has deformed by itself and is leaking. This last effort will cost me 2000 euros to have it changed as the material is plastic and cannot be repared.

Ducati France have offered zilch in the way of help, or even apologies ! And this bike has been fully maintained at all times by their official agents and lives in a garage. Anyway, enough about this for the moment, but please tell everyone that Ducati's bad reputation for reliability is quite justified!

I take a look occasionally at the Bike Exif site that daily sends out good pictures of a necessarily variable selection of customized and collectors bikes of all kinds. The one that came through my mail box yesterday really caught me eye! This has to be one of the most beautiful things I have seen (in the way of bikes) for a while.




Based on the Moto Guzzi Griso 1200 (which I quite like as a standard bike, apart from its massively ugly silencer), this is a special put together by an Italian outfit called Officine Rossopuro. I have shown one of their more classic Guzzi specials before, but that was based on a older model (T7, I think, or maybe Le Mans). They apparently plan to do a small production series of this and it looks just great to me. Wonder how much it costs, but I know I couldn't afford it.

More pics....





Just a look at the detail work on this machine tells me that it is way out of my league, price-wise. But dreams keep you going, right? I am relieved to see that it has grown a rear tyre-skimmer type mudguard since the first picture on top, as I hate to think how fast the air filter would get clogged otherwise (not to mention the wear on the rear suspesion unit). Don't expect that exhaust system meets many sound requirements but I bet it sounds pretty good. Raaaah!




If you want to check out their website and make an enquiry, here is the link

Otherwise just send me a cheque....

Ride safely, its finally warming up here in Europe

2 comments:

  1. David, if it makes you feel any less alone, the trauma of modern day Ducati ownwership is clearly global. A mate of mine went through the same drama with a Duke of about the same age a few years back and after three years of dealer bullshit got rid of the bloody thing.
    It used to be that, not unlike Lucas, Prince of Darkness, unreliability problems with classic Brit bikes, you could expect electric gremlins and the Vague-liar clock issues, and even occasionally, mechanical anomalies down to less than consistant tolerances and shimming, but this new breed is clearly not up to the job and worse still is the manner in which the factory handles the situation, denial and buck passing seem rife . . . not good Ducati !!!
    I must say that after my beloved Reds were so badly flogged in Yarpyland last night, to be confronted by the gorgeous images of the Guzzi was the requisite pick up I so badly needed, an absolutely beautiful bike with a well chosen name to boot . . . I'd be ditching the Duck el pronto and jagging me one of those jiggers at the earliest opportunity . . .
    Mate, I do hope you find some immediate satisfaction with your current steed but looking around at other options probably indicates you're about at the end of your tether and right for a change. Best of British to you Mr Cobbold, Whitelines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Whitlines. I need the boost too. Sorry to hear about the Reds. Stade Français Paris, which is my team, has a great outing yesterday with a 53-27 score card (total of 7 tries to 3) against Agen, a close rival in the current championship. All that under sunny weather and to a packed stadium.
    I have enquired about the price of this Ipothesys Guzzi and it IS way out of my league. I am quite tempted by the new KTM Duke 690. Fun, light and resoably priced. Have to get the Duc fixed and flogged first. Bastards!

    ReplyDelete